Since its foundation, the purpose of IPVS has been to promote worldwide exchange of ideas, knowledge, and research materials among basic, clinical and public health research professionals concerned with human and animal papillomaviruses and their associated diseases.
Its mission is to contribute to the elimination of papillomavirus-related diseases. This is done by:
- Contributing to improved understanding of, and disseminating information about, the biology and pathogenesis of papillomaviruses and their associated diseases, and the prevention, screening, diagnosis and treatment of papillomavirus-related diseases.
- Advocating for evidence-based policies that improve public health in relation to papillomavirus-related diseases and for sustainable research funding in the field.
- Fostering excellence and rigor in papillomavirus research.
- Promoting and supporting education about papillomaviruses and career development in papillomavirus-related research.
- Disseminating research results, knowledge and information among members, and by sharing information with the media.
- Partnering with other societies, institutions and organizations.